Butterfly Pea Flower 50 g
These are the delicate Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea) Flowers have been hand-picked and sun-dried. Also known as “blue pea” or “Asian pigeonwings,” it’s a striking blue-purple flower that grows in Southeast Asia, and is mainly used to color food and beverages, since the flower’s bright blue color comes out into liquid when soaked.
Butterfly pea flower tea is the new tea trend that has set the tea world afire. This herbal tea offers color-changing properties that make each cup a visual treat. Changes in the tea’s pH level, results in fire red hues or rich purples. When the liquid is mixed with an acidic ingredient such as lime or lemon juice, it transforms into a shade of royal purple! It doesn’t have much flavor.
*non-irradiated. Product of Thailand. Sourced from a women-run cooperative of micro-farms. These farms follow organic farming practices. Caffeine Free.
Cosmetic: Infuse in oil or alcohol for use in Skin cleansers, Soaps, Lotions and Creams, Floral water, Ointments, Potpourri, Body spray, Pillow mix, Bath herb, Poultice.
Decorative: Use to add colorful accents to salads, soups, cakes and other foods. Potpourri. The vibrant blue hue of the petals is also used in the making of food coloring and other dyes.
Culinary: Add to tea blends. The flowers can be brewed into an infusion to be enjoyed as a herbal tea or incorporated into your baking recipes. It can also be used as the base for bright-blue beverages, or frozen into ice cubes for making magical colour-changing lemonades.
- The Butterfly Pea Flower has been consumed for centuries as a caffeine-free, memory boosting and calming tea.
- This tea can also be enjoyed as an after-dinner nightcap.
1. ADD TO WATER – Spice up your morning lemon water with butterfly pea flower. This flower has the amazing ability to turn your lemon water purple, not to mention the added health benefits. Lemon water is already great for boosting your metabolism, so imagine how supercharged by adding butterfly pea flower.
Turning water naturally blue is also a fun way to encourage kids to drink more water. If you steep the pea flower in a little water for a couple of minutes, remove the flowers and then top with cold water, you have created the perfect drink to cool your kids down and keep them hydrated.
2. MAGICAL LEMONADE – This is the most popular way to use buttlerfly pea flowers. Watch how the color gradient changes from blue to purple in this drink. Make “purple lemonade”
3. MAGICAL ICE CUBES – A favorite party trick! Freezing the steeped butterfly pea flower into ice cubes is a cool and funky way to jazz up any beverage. Add ice cubes to a punch or cocktail and watching them melt and transform the colour of any drink.
4. GALAXY SLUSHIES – Another thing those magical ice cubes are perfect for – lemonade slushies!
5. PURPLE EGGS – Now this is seriously cool. Eggs are boiled in normal water first and then left to soak in steeped butterfly pea flowers afterward for roughly 2 hours to give the outside of the egg whites this cool affect. Definitely try this for this Sunday’s breakfast!
6. NATURAL FOOD DYE – Like the eggs above, butterfly pea flower has been used for centuries as a natural food dye. How amazing is it to make and use a plant based dye in your own home rather than buying dye made from lab chemicals, like petroleum. you should be using a natural food dye instead of the artificial stuff.
- If you are looking for a natural purple dye, you can try adding something acidic like lemon juice to the butterfly pea flower dye.
- If you are looking for a lustrous red color, try using hibiscus herbal tea.
7. COCKTAILS – Give your cocktails a natural burst of blue, purple or pink with butterfly pea flower This flower is also wonderful for spicing up a classic like G&T or vodka, lime & soda or even your favorite white wine.
An easy & simple way to extract butterfly pea flower’s extraordinary color is by simply brewing as many flowers as you’d like in just enough water to cover them for about 2 minutes and then adding this to your drink. Leave the flowers for a gorgeous garnish or remove with a spoon/small sifter.
8. BLUE LATTE – Just like matcha, butterfly pea flower can be used to create a bright colored latte. Although beautiful, butterfly pea flower’s natural flavor can only be described as woody. To liven up the flavor of this latte, you will need to add honey, vanilla syrup or a spice like cinnamon & nutmeg.
There is so much more to do with butterfly pea flowers. To find out more ways you can be creative with this amazing flower … just google.
Precautions: We recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications. For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Health Food Stores Edmonton | Herbs spices I Butterfly Pea Flower